March 7, 2007

If you can't say anything nice....

" I have no respect for justice and no mercy for defenseless humanity. I ruin without killing. I tear down homes. I break hearts and wreck lives. You will find me in the pews of the pious as well as in the haunts of the unholy. I gather strength with age. I have made my way where greed, distrust, and dishonor are unknown; yet my victims are as numerous as the sands of the sea, and often as innocent. My name is Gossip."
-author unknown

We all know the phrase.... "If you can not say anything nice then do not say anything at all."

Well, I have started attending a ladies Bible study on Monday evenings. I have always wanted to do this. By this I mean, regularly attend a Bible study with a group of girls. I really did not realize what I was missing. The accountability and the prayer partnerships are so great. It also helps to keep me in the word and of the word...if you no what I mean. The difference is amazing!!! It really keeps you on your spiritual toes. The study we are doing is by Elizabeth George. It is titled, A Woman's High Calling. We have studied wisdom and now, you guessed it....GOSSIP! What girl can not use help in this area?? I have been presented with scripture that compares gossip to things such as murder, poison, evil, and even compares a gossiper to a she devil. There are three categories of gossip. The categories are malicious, rationalizer, and innocent. I think most of us probably fall under the last two categories. I have never studied gossip to this degree. It really gave me a wake up call about the damage that it does not only to others but, to ourselves and our ministry to others. The study of this topic has really helped me to realise that gossip is not of God. I want everything that I am about to be of God. The study has definitely helped me to be aware of my everyday speech and action. I want others to see Christ in me. Gossiping is not going to help that. Just some thoughts I though I would throw out there. The "riddle" above really hit me hard and I thought I would share it.

She opens her mouth with wisdom and on her tongue is the law of kindness.
-Proverbs 31:26

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • What a great reminder. Sin is sin no matter how it's packaged, whether it is gossip, idolatry or greed or even something more obvious like murder or stealing. We all have areas to work on. Besides, nobody likes a shedevil.

    By Blogger kardel, at March 15, 2007 at 12:33:00 PM GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home