April 17, 2007

If you could read the tablets of your peers heart, what is it that you would have contributed?

The verse below is a verse that was brought to my attention at our church's women's retreat a couple of months back. I really LOVE this verse. In fact, I have not moved the ribbon in my Bible from the page it is on since. I do not want it to get lost in the pages because I can look at it anytime, and be reminded of the desire God has for us in our walk with him.

You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
2 Corinthians 3:3 (NIV)


The Message says it this way:
Your very lives are a letter that anyone can read by just looking at you. Christ himself wrote it—not with ink, but with God's living Spirit; not chiseled into stone, but carved into human lives—and we publish it.

It is just a reminder of what we are called to do as Christians. Our everyday walk should consist of investing in the hearts of others. I think that if Jesus were a member of my church, he would not spend so much of his time at "church." He would challenge the "church" to get out of the church building and invest in the lives of others. By others I mean those who do not already know Jesus or seek a relationship with him. We should be a breath of fresh air to "others." I think that the hard part is that we do not know how to relate or how to avoid coming across as judgemental or condeming. As a result, we then avoid investing in the hearts of those people all together. I know that I struggle with that balance myself. I feel like I could do so much more but am concerned with these very things.

When you serve in many areas of a church, you start to see and realise things that you could do without seeing or realising. This verse helps me to overlook these things and to focus on the ultimate goal. I do not need to be concerned with others actions and agendas, I need to make sure that my heart is in the right place and that the imprint that I leave in the lives of others is what God would desire it to be.

This helped me to have a, much needed, spiritual reality check today. I thought I might share!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • I love this. You are exactly right. I am so glad you have come to my blog and now I know how to find you. You blessed me by your comment!

    By Blogger Unknown, at April 17, 2007 at 12:07:00 PM GMT-4  

  • Wonderful post. I was at a retreat this weekend, and we talked about how Jesus came to SEEK and save the lost. He did not just sit around waiting for needy people to come and find him, he went out and looked for them. What an example for us! Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 17, 2007 at 12:44:00 PM GMT-4  

  • What a wonderful reminder. I think we all need to remember that every once in a while.

    Thanks so much for sharing from your heart.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 17, 2007 at 6:17:00 PM GMT-4  

  • I love your blog! I just stopped by from 'splat'. It caught my eye because your title is similar to mine. I'll be back when I have more time.

    By Blogger Deidre, at April 18, 2007 at 7:13:00 AM GMT-4  

  • That is so great. I found your site through vader's mom. I'm from TN, too. Stop by my blogs sometime if you get a chance.

    By Blogger Shawna, at April 27, 2007 at 3:29:00 PM GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home